For the purposes of applicable data protection laws, the controller is: Kate McIver Skin Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales with company number 11527339 and having its registered office at Suite 10-12 Mezzanine Floor, Royal Liver Building, Pier Head, Liverpool, L3 1HU.
Information we collect
We may obtain personal data about you from various sources. We collect this information when you provide it, on our website, via our social media pages, via our on line platform Shopify. When you visit our website, our social media pages or use services or features of one of our mobile applications, we also collect certain information about your device or usage by automated means, including using technologies such as cookies, web server logs and web beacons.
Information you provide
You may provide personal data to us in a number of ways, such as when you participate in an offer or promotion, when you make a purchase on our site, via our social media pages or through one of our mobile applications. The types of personal data you provide to us may include: Please note that for most purchases and contact you will only provide a proportion of the data listed below:
- Contact information (such as name, postal address, email address and mobile or other phone number)
- Age or date of birth
- Username and password, nickname/screen name
- Payment information (such as your payment card number, expiration date, and card security code)
- Shipping and billing information (such as delivery address, and billing address)
- Purchase history
- Product preferences
- Your skin type / skin condition
- Your hair type
- Your physical characteristics and your skincare concerns
- Contact information for friends, family or other people you would like us to send a message to on your behalf (please ensure that you only submit contact information of individuals with whom you have a personal or family relationship and who have consented to receive messages from you or us)
- Information or content you provide (such as photographs, videos, reviews, articles, questions, survey responses and comments)
- Information provided to us through social media networks or one of our mobile applications when you visit our social media pages or use one of our mobile applications (such as your name, profile picture, likes, location, friend list and other information described on the social media network or application sign-up page, or your geo-location details when using one of our mobile applications)
How we use this information
We will use the information you provide to:
- Send you promotional materials or other communications if you so elect
- Provide the products or services you (or your company) have requested and operate features on our site
- Process your payment card transactions and/or gift card transactions
- Create a profile about you based on the information you provided to us in order to tailor our advertisements to your interests, find your appropriate skin or hair care routine and manage the effectiveness of our marketing efforts
- Assist with product selection and replenishment
- Chat with you or respond to your inquiries
- Post your product reviews
- Tailor ads displayed to you on our site and elsewhere to your interests and history with us
- Communicate with you about, and administer your participation in, special events, loyalty programs, surveys and other offers
- Operate and communicate with you about our social network pages or mobile applications
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; enhancing and improving our services; managing our communications; analysing our products; performing data analytics and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions)
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and our policies
The Legal Basis for this information
We will use the information you provide for the above purposes if:
- it is necessary to perform a contract to which you are party (e.g., to process your payment and deliver the products you have ordered- we use Shopify for product purpose and Mailchimp for fulfilment); or
- we have obtained your consent; or if
- we have a legitimate interest in doing so (including a legitimate interest in performing marketing activities, research activities, data analytics, internal administration functions, processing and enforcing legal claims and conducting our business in compliance with all applicable laws, relevant industry standards and our policies).
Information we collect by automated means
When you visit the web site site, view or click on our online advertisements (including our advertisements on third party websites), visit our social media pages or download and use one of our mobile applications (if applicable), we also collect certain information about your usage or device by automated means or by using technologies such as cookies, web server logs or web beacons. In the main our analytics work is undertaken at purchase level through our purchasing platform Shopify- There is a detailed privacy statement available from this provider on their site. For example, if you use one of our mobile applications, we may collect your IP address, your unique device identifier (or other device identifier) and/or geo-location data in order to offer you certain features or functionalities within that mobile application. As set forth in more detail below, we may also collect information about your usage and browsing habits using various web-based technologies.
Technologies we use
Cookies are small text files that websites send to your computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify your browser or to store information or settings in your browser.
The following types of cookies are set on the web site:
Internal Cookies for the web site to work
We use first-party cookies to help the site work in the best possible manner. You can opt out of receiving these cookies and disable them by adjusting your browser settings. Please note, however, that without these cookies, your user experience may be impacted.
In conjunction with obtaining information through cookies, our web servers may log details such as your operating system type, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone in which your device is located. The web server logs also may record information such as the address of the web page that linked you to our site and the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet.
To control which web servers collect this information, we may place tags on our web pages called “web beacons.” These are computer instructions that link web pages to particular web servers and their cookies.
Third Party Web Analytics Cookies
You may deactivate the ability of these analytics services to analyse your browsing activities on this site. To learn more about web analytics service, and to exercise your choice with respect to their collection of information on their sites.
Third Party Targeted Advertising Cookies
To learn more about interest-based advertising, visit the Digital Advertising Alliance at www.aboutads.info/choices or the Network Advertising Initiative at www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
Third Party Cookies Intended to Improve the Interactivity of the Site
This site may also support certain third party services, including social sharing buttons for Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram, tweet lists (Twitter) and videos posted on the site (YouTube). These features use third party cookies that are directly set on your device by these services. When you first visit our site, a cookie banner will inform you of the use of these cookies. They will only be used if you accept them or if you continue using this site. You may change your cookie settings at any time to accept or refuse these cookies.
We may also use third-party platforms, including platforms operated by social networks, such as Google, Facebook and Pinterest, to show you interest-based ads. We may convert your email address, telephone number or other information into a unique value which can be matched by those third parties with a user on their platform or with other data they may have collected from you. This matching allows interest-based ads to be delivered on those platforms. To opt-out of these ads, you must change your preferences by clicking on the cookie control tool above and unselect the “targeting” setting. These platforms may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review.
Information we share
We do not rent lists, sell or otherwise disclose personal data we collect about you, except as described here. We may share your personal data with:
- Service providers who perform services on our behalf based on our instructions. We do not authorize these service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. Examples of these service providers include entities that process credit card payments, fulfil orders, and provide web-hosting and marketing services.
- Other third parties with your consent.
In addition, we and our affiliates and other service providers may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) to law enforcement authorities or other government officials, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity.
Your Rights and Choices
You have certain rights and choices in connection with the personal data we collect from you. To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request, please contact us as specified below.
You can at any time tell us not to send you marketing communications by email by clicking on the unsubscribe link within the marketing emails you receive from us or by contacting us on firstname.lastname@example.org
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing communications by postal mail by following the instructions included in a particular promotion. You can also request that we refrain from sending you promotional postal mail by contacting us at the address on the front page of this document.
- Reviewing, Updating or Deleting Personal Data or Restricting or Objecting to their Use
Subject to applicable law, you have the right to request access to and rectification or erasure of the personal data we maintain about you, or to request the restriction of our use of this information, as appropriate. You also have the right to object at any time to the use of your personal data for direct marketing purposes, including profiling related to direct marketing. For all other purposes, you may object at any time to the use of your personal data, on grounds relating to your particular situation, in accordance with applicable law. These rights may be limited in some circumstances under applicable law. We may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections. You may exercise these rights by contacting us at the company address.
Subject to applicable law, you have the right to receive, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, the personal data that you have provided to us about you, with your consent or based on a contract to which you are party. You also have the right to have this information transmitted to another data controller, where it is technically feasible. You may exercise this right by making contacting with us as. You may also lodge a complaint with a data protection authority.
We keep the information you provide for the duration of our relationships, plus a reasonable period in order to be able to run regular deletion routines or to take into account the applicable statute of limitation period or if required under mandatory applicable law. If you wish to receive marketing communications, we will keep the information necessary to send you these communications following the end of our customer relationship or following their collection, if you are a prospective customer.
How we protect personal information
We maintain appropriate technical and organizational safeguards to ensure an appropriate level of security of your personal data, in particular to protect your personal data against accidental unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. However, no security system is perfect and we cannot promise that information about you will remain secure in all circumstances, including the security of your data during transmission to us or the security of data on your mobile device.
Links to other web sites
Our website may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may operate independently from us. Linked sites may have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit any linked websites. To the extent any linked websites you visit are not owned or controlled by us, we are not responsible for the sites’ content, any use of the sites, or the privacy practices of the sites.
How to contact us